Freemount Pioneer Centre

FREEMOUNT CENTRE OF THE PIONEER TOTAL
ABSTINANCE ASSOCIATION was founded on 28th. Sept. 1947
by the late Rev. Fr. Michael Cogan C.C.. In that year 60 members
were enrolled. Meetings were held monthly in the local National
School as the attendance in those early years was very big.
Down through the years, The centre has played a large part in
the social life of the Community. Each Summer from 1952 to 1962
an Annual outing was organised and this "Pioneer Outing" was a
big day and night for the young people of the time. Indeed there
were many pleasant memories of outings to Killarney, Youghal,
Ballybunion, Tramore, Kilkee, etc.
In the 1950's Pioneer "Socials" became very popular. The first
such Social to be held in Freemount was in December 1956. The
Music was by The Ardnageehy Ceili Band and the admission was
5 shillings.! The Dance was held in The Allow Ballroom- now
John Brennan's Garage,and the catering was done in The National
School now The Heritage Centre. Freemount Pioneer Social was
very popular for many years.
On Sept. 19th. 1954 Freemount P.T.A.A. organised a Pilgrimage to
Knock. Ten members travelled by car and six went by train from
Charleville. In 1981 The Pilgrimage was revived and is an annual
event since.
In the 1980's The P.T.A.A.organised The Readoiri Talent, and
Quiz. National Competitions. Our centre hosted The County,and
Munster finals for many years, and in 1985 The All Ireland
Readoiri Final was held in The Community Centre.
Over the years many Freemount Pioneers both young people and
adults took part in these Competitions and brought home the
laurels on many occasions.
Though the centre became inactive in the 70's, for a few years.
It was revived in 1981, and has been active since.