Freemount Carnival

Freemount Carnival

The first carnival to be held in Freemount was in 1948 to raise funds
for a proposed ball alley. Amusements were located in Barry's field
across from what is now the Golden Vale Stores and a marquee
erected for dancing. The event made a profit for the Parish council of
150 pounds, a large amount in post war year times.

Fitzpatrick's Hall (Now John Brennan's Garage) was extended and
redecorated in 1951 and the carnival dances moved here. The
amusements moved to a field beside the Waterworks now owned by
Mrs. Horgan.

The carnivals died out for much of the 1950's till the arrival of curate
Fr. Donal Ryan. ln 1967 he decided to hold a carnival to raise funds
for church renovations which began a revival.

Dances were the main source of income for the carnival committee
with marquees being erected yearly in different fields around the
village.

ln the seventies and eighties the Carnival grew in stature and
became highly successful. The Community Centre was opened in 1975 accomodating bigger dances and events.

The carnival featured large Fancy Dress Parades, The Baron of
County Cork competitions, Carnival Queen competition as well as
sports days and race meetings.

Local hurling teams took part in hurling tournaments which were run
by a large committee and which became one of the hi-lights of many
carnivals through the decades.

The last carnival took place in 1995 when the event was relaunched
by the Freemount Development Association.

There is no doubt that the carnival made a major contribution to
Freemount life throughout the decades, for two weeks every July the
village reverberated with the excitement as people flocked from all
over for the many events.